Mustard-flavored condiments such as Dijon mustard are popular in most households today as they are used in a wide variety of dishes to add taste. Dijon mustard’s ingredients include brown mustard seeds, white wine, and verjuice which gives Dijon its unique flavor.
The Dijon mustard has a tangy, sharp, and strong taste with some spice. Its essential ingredients, such as dried mustard seeds, white wine vinegar, shallots, and powdered black pepper, give it a special savory flavor. This sweet and spicy taste works best for meat and sandwiches.
Why is Dijon mustard special?
Dijon originated from the Dijon area in France; therefore, it is a dark mustard widely used in many French meals. The exceptional taste results from spices such as tarragon, wine vinegar, and dried mustard.
It is special due to its unique ingredients and facts like its existence for approximately 350 years. You can find Dijon in a wide variety of food products.
How do I make my own Dijon Mustard?
Making your mustard that tastes like Dijon is simple. It mainly involves powdering black or brown mustard seeds and adding vinegar, salt, and white wine.
It is essential to soak the mustard seeds before utilizing them, and you should refrigerate the finished mustard for 24 hours before using.
If you want to make the authentic taste of Dijon, do not forget to add verjuice. You can substitute it with lemon juice or vinegar if you don’t get some.
When do I use Dijon mustard?
You can use Dijon mustard anytime in place of yellow mustard. If you buy a quality one or make it home, it will add a distinctive flavor to your dishes and impress anyone who expects a normal taste.
Here are a few ways you can use your mustard:
- Salad dressing: it perfectly works in most dressings but does better in potato salad; it works wonderfully in certain hard-boiled eggs.
- Burger: You can use Dijon to dress your burger as it has a strong spicy taste.
- Create Dijonnaise: Mustard is not seen as a sauce but mixing a tablespoon of Dijon and half a cup of mayonnaise with salt and pepper results in Dijonnaise, a good sauce you can utilize in your recipes.
- Marinating food: Before putting it in the oven, you can use it to marinate your food, such as chicken.
What benefits will I get from using Dijon mustard?
Apart from adding a unique taste to your dishes, it has several benefits such as:
- You can use it in any food.
- It has low calories.
- Offers you the required nutrients for a healthy dish
- It offers a balance of flavor in your food because it has mustard seeds with oil and acids. This is important as it breaks down the chain of proteins, thus making them easier to digest.
Dijon mustard has a more spicy and pungent taste than regular mustard. You should note that you can easily substitute them, but it depends on what flavor you would love to have in your food.