The pioneer woman Swedish meatballs make for the perfect side dish when served with noodles or mashed potatoes. I love the fact that they are easy to prepare. You just need to have your ingredients ready, then you can follow the steps in this recipe. It also takes a short time to cook.
Pioneer Woman Swedish Meatballs Recipe
For the meatballs
- 2 slices of bread cubed
- ¼ cup of milk
- 2 pounds ground beef you can mix the quantity with ground chicken
- 1 medium-sized finely-chopped/ground onion
- 2 egg yolks
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- ¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp. allspice
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
For the gravy
- 3 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken/beef broth low on sodium
- ¼ tsp. Salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- ¾ cup sour cream
- Put the bread cubes in milk. Toss it into the milk by adding the bread to the milk in a mixing bowl. Put them aside to allow the milk to penetrate and saturate the bread.
- Combine all the meatball ingredients; the cubed bread, ground pork, egg yolks, nutmeg, allspice, onion, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Ensure to combine the meatball mixture well. Use your hand to form the mixture into meatballs with a diameter of about 1 inch.
- Set the meatballs ready for cooking. Melt the two tablespoons of butter in a large skillet, add olive oil, and heat for 5-7 minutes.
- Once hot enough, add the meatball and fry while turning every 2 minutes until all sides are browned. Remove the meatballs from the oil and put them in a dish. If the meatballs are too many that your skillet can accommodate, fry them in batches.
Preparing the gravy
- In the same skillet, melt 3 tablespoons of butter and set aside. Mix all the drippings in the pan together, add flour and mix them thoroughly.
- Set back to cook. Add broth and stir to mix. Add all your seasoning and stir as you continue to cook until the gravy thickens. Stir in the sour cream with a whisk for even distribution and to enhance thickening.
- Add the meatballs to the sauce and stir gently to immerse in the sauce. Bring the sauce to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for about seven minutes. Toss the meatballs gently after every 2 minutes to avoid sticking to the pan.
- Remove from heat and serve as desired. You can also garnish with freshly chopped parsley and serve alongside noodles, mashed potatoes or any other accompaniment you love
Why you’ll love the pioneer woman Swedish meatballs
- The meatballs are juicy and with just the right amount of spice. The pioneer woman Swedish meatballs recipe, adds just a touch of nutmeg and allspice, differentiating them from other meatballs.
- They are easy to prepare and adaptable to different circumstances. You can prepare them with beef, chicken, pork, or by mixing the preferred amount of each. Just combine the meats, form the meatballs mixture, and cook the gravy.
- The meatballs are a favorite to many. No matter the occasion, the distinctive flavors of the meatballs will greatly entice all your guests.
Tips and Tricks for Preparing the Pioneer Woman Swedish Meatballs
- This recipe should give you more than 30 meatballs. Be sure to add or reduce the ingredients according to your preferred quantity.
- If you prefer baking to frying, spray a nonstick dish with oil; add the meatballs and bake at 375 °F for 20-25 minutes or until the top turns golden brown.
- You can also prepare the dish with ground chicken/turkey or mix the two to get healthier meatballs with less fat.
- To prepare meatball gravy that is less in fat, you can substitute sour cream with heavy cream or yoghurt.
- Grate your onions with a box grater to avoid getting large pieces of onions in your meatballs.
- While you can still use salted butter for this recipe, we prefer using unsalted one so we can easily season the dish with salt and pepper to match our taste.
- Sour cream is responsible for the gravy’s velvety texture, so use it as advised. However, you can as well substitute it with half a cup of heavy cream for this recipe.
- Calories: 67 kcal
- Total fat: 4.4g
- Saturated fat: 2.1g
- Cholesterol: 23mg
- Sodium: 178mg
- Carbohydrates: 2.6g
- Dietary fiber: 0.1g
- Sugars: 0.3g
- Protein: 4.2g
- Vitamin A: 273 IU
- Calcium: 17g
- Iron: 12g
The pioneer woman Swedish meatballs are unique from all meatballs and are prepared in an amazing creamy sauce. These meatballs are specifically seasoned with nutmeg and allspice giving them a distinctive sweet and savory flavor. They make an excellent side dish with mashed/whipped potatoes or noodles.
Read more on our blog: