This Polk salad recipe will help you with the steps and ingredients that you need to make the best of your Polk or Poke salad.
Just before I give you the recipe, it would be important if you are coming across this for the first time to understand what it means. Poke or Polk salad plant is poisonous when raw and only safe when cooked twice. But even with this shortcoming, you can prepare this salad with caution and enjoy its great nutrition benefits. It’s packed with high fiber, calcium, iron and vitamin A.
This Polk salad recipe that I have prepared for you is easy to follow and to use. You will only have to boil the Polk twice while draining the water, then mix it with an accompaniment of your choice.
Ingredients for Polk Salad Recipe
- 4 cups fresh poke salad greens shoots (chopped)
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- ¼ cup minced ginger
- 2-3 medium eggs
- 1 cup cooked rice
- Soy sauce
- Orange bell pepper for garnishing
- Pepper and salt to taste
- Cooking oil to taste
Preparation for Polk Salad Recipe
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
Wait time: 55 minutes
Course: appetizer/side dish
Yield: 4 servings
- Wear disposable gloves and chop the poisonous raw Polk salad green into about 1-inch sizes.
- Boil them for 5 minutes and pour off the water
- Boil again for 30 minutes and drain all the water
- Ensure to boil until there is no noticeable color; if its color is still present, you can boil for one more time.
- Place the boiled polk salad greens on a strainer to drain completely
- Add a tablespoon of olive oil to a skillet
- Set heat to medium heat the onions until brown, then add garlic, ginger, salt, pepper and spices.
- Add in the cooked rice; whether white or brown, and stir until warm and a little crispy.
- When the rice is almost white, beat the eggs and add them to the rice. Mix well until all the eggs combine evenly with the rice.
- Add already cooked Polk and stir until uniformly mixed and cooks evenly.
- Prepare to serve the way you please with your preferred garnishes.
Polk Salad Nutrition Information
Serving size: 1 cup
- Calories: 322.38 kcal
- Total fat: 25.66 grams
- Saturated fats: 2.59 grams
- Trans fat: 0.1 grams
- Cholesterol: 99.97 mg
- Sodium: 403.55 mg
- Carbohydrates: 18.15 grams
- Dietary fiber: 1.49 grams
- Sugars: 2.23 grams
- Protein: 5.67 grams
- Vitamin A: 19.58%
- Vitamin C: 8.34%
- Calcium: 4.78%
- Iron: 7.93%
Read more on our blog: