Reuben sandwich is a treat of corned beef, sauerkraut, and Thousand Island dressing between two slices of rye bread. Some people refer to it as a pastrami sandwich, and it is loved for being healthy, flavorful, and filling.
To prepare this treat at home, follow this recipe for a delicious Reuben sandwich with Thousand Island dressing within 30 minutes. I’ll also give you the best recipe to prepare the dressing from scratch.
Ingredients for Reuben Sandwich with Thousand Island Dressing
For Thousand Island Dressing
- ½ cup of mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp. grated onion
- 2 tbsp. ketchup
- A pinch of paprika
- A pinch of salt
For Reuben sandwich
- 12 ounces of corned beef
- 8 slices of rye bread
- 8 slices of Swiss cheese
- A cup of well-drained sauerkraut
- 4 tbsp. of butter
Preparation for Reuben Sandwich with Thousand Island Dressing
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Wait time: 15 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
Course: main course
- Whisk together the dressing ingredients; mix the mayonnaise, pickle relish, grated onion, salt, ketchup, and salt in a small bowl. Whisk thoroughly to mix. You can also more spices you prefer like garlic and black pepper to taste.
- Place a slice of rye bread on a cutting board and top with a slice of Swiss cheese. Do this with the other slices of bread,
- Top each bread and cheese with a Spread of about a tablespoon of the dressing.
- Add the corned beef to half (4) of the bread slices already topped with cheese and the dressing.
- Add sauerkraut to the other four slices. Carefully fold each slice with corned beef into the sauerkraut to make four sandwiches. Do this slowly and carefully to avoid dripping any ingredients.
- Spread soft butter on the top of each sandwich, and place all sandwiches in a hot skillet with the top buttered side face down. Maintain a medium-low heat.
- Spread more butter on the other side facing up. Cover the skillet lightly with aluminum foil and cook until you achieve a beautiful golden brown color on the lower side. Flip. Cover again with the foil and allow the other side to cook until golden brown.
- The cheese should be melted by this time, and the sandwich should heat through. Check the sandwich and if the cheese has melted and the sandwich heated through, serve your Reuben sandwich with Thousand Island dressing and dig in.
Reuben Sandwich with Thousand Island Dressing Nutrition Information
- Calories: 816 kcal
- Carbohydrates: 38 grams
- Protein: 32 grams
- Fat: 59 grams
- Saturated Fat: 21 grams
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 14 grams
- Monounsaturated Fat: 18 grams
- Trans Fat: 0.4 grams
- Cholesterol: 127 mg
- Sodium: 2393 mg
- Potassium: 586 mg
- Fiber: 5 grams
- Sugar: 5 grams
- Vitamin A: 644 IU
- Vitamin C: 38 mg
- Calcium: 378 mg
- Iron: 5 mg
Read more on our blog: